VoiceThread QuickStart Guide
This Quick Start Guide will get you up and running with VoiceThread in your Blackboard course.
These five steps will allow you to set up a VoiceThread in your course:
- Create and configure a VoiceThread link in your Blackboard course.
- Create a VoiceThread by adding an initial slide.
- Add more slides to your VoiceThread.
- Narrate VoiceThread by adding voice or video comments.
- Share VoiceThread in your Blackboard course.
Step 1: Create and Configure a VoiceThread Link
Decide on a content area where you would like your VoiceThread to appear. For example: Weekly Sessions or Assignments. Then:
- Hover over Build Content.
- Click UMB VoiceThread.
- On the Create UMB VoiceThread screen, name your link.
- Click Submit.
- Find and click on your VoiceThread in the content area menu.
- DO NOT click the Launch Icon that appears. Wait for the link to launch automatically.
- On the VoiceThread setup screen click Individual VoiceThread
Step 2: Create a VoiceThread
- Click Create new VoiceThread. Note: If you have already created VoiceThreads, they will appear below the Create new VoiceThread button.
- Click Add Media.
- Click My Computer, and select a file to upload. Note: If uploading a PowerPoint presentation, be sure to save it as a PDF before uploading to VoiceThread.
- While your file is uploading, Name your VoiceThread and add an optional description.
- Click Save.
Step 3: Add More Slides to Your VoiceThread
The initial image or PowerPoint PDF uploaded creates your VoiceThread, but you may always add more slides by doing the following:
Step 4: Narrate Your VoiceThread
- To begin the narration, click Comment.
- Click the Comment Bubble in the bottom center of the slide to open the Commenting Fan.
- Click either the Microphone Icon to leave an audio comment or the Video Icon to leave a video comment. Note: A security prompt may appear. Click Allow.
- During recording, you may use the Colored Pencil feature to annotate the slide while commenting. Click Fade to toggle whether the pencil “markings” stay or slowly fade from view.
- When you are done recording, click Stop Recording.
- The comment automatically begins playing back. If you are satisfied with your comment, click Save. If not, click Cancel to record a new comment.
- Click the Arrow in the lower right corner to advance to the next slide. Note: Start a new comment on each slide. Follow this process: Comment, Save, Advance to the next slide, repeat. Make sure to save before advancing to the next slide.
Step 5: Share Your VoiceThread
- Click the X in the upper right corner to close your VoiceThread.
- To share your VoiceThread with your Blackboard course, click Share with class.
- To finalize the sharing, click Share with Class again.
- To return to your Blackboard course, click Return to course.
Now students may contribute to the discussion. For instructions on student participation, see the Student Comment Guide.